My little boy celebrated his 2nd birthday exactly one week ago and it was a pretty low key affair. This is because next week we will be hosting a joint birthday party for him and his cousin, with family members coming to our house to join the festivities. But the thing is….. I have never hosted a party before in my entire life! In fact, even as child I never had a birthday party. So saying that this is a bit of a learning curve is pretty much an understatement!
But not to worry folks, not to worry! I will do my very best to make it a super day for the two boys and all the guests of course. In my mind its all down to the planning, there’s no good achieved from just ‘winging it’. So my first step was to pick a theme and as this was a joint party, it had to be something that would suit them both. We all decided to go for Thomas the Tank Engine and ran with it. My little boy is mad for Thomas, so this was a great result.
I have created my own posters for the front door, buffet table and posters of the birthday boys to dot around the house. Really chuffed with them (pardon the pun)! I will extend my dining table and push it against the wall for my buffet table and decorate accordingly. I have managed to find loads of red, blue and Thomas party accessories through Amazon and from supermarkets –
- Amscan Assorted Plastic Cutlery Packs in Bright Royal Blue x 2 (Amazon)
- Carejoy Red Stripe Paper Drinking Straw Pack (Amazon)
- Amscan Add An Age Thomas Letter Banner (Amazon)
- Amscan Thomas Banner (Amazon)
- Thomas & Friends Party Pack for 16 (Amazon)
- Bello Blue Stripe Paper Drinking Straw Pack (Cannot remember where I got these!)
- Happy Hours Red Food Tray Twin Pack (Asda)
- Red Paper Bowls x 16 (Asda)
- Red Paper Plates x 20 (Asda)
- Clear Plastic Tumblers x 20 (Sainsburys)
- Age 2 Balloons (Card Factory)
- Thomas Balloon Bouquet (Card Factory)
- Balloon Weight (Sainsburys)
Drinks will be served in the kitchen and will include squash, lemonade, pepsi, juices, teas and coffees. Not sure about alcohol? Should I? Should’t I? The garden will have some extra chairs for people and hopefully we will be blessed with fair weather! Oh and we have also bought some super cute Sports Day Washable Fabric Colourful Bunting from Dotcomgiftshop through Amazon. We will wrap this around the fencing that surrounds our garden.
I am getting the food sorted on the morning of the party and am keeping it fairly simple. Sausage rolls, quiche, crisps, sandwiches and the like, plus some sweety treats.
So thats how far I have got with my planning so far. What do you think? Have you got any tips or pointers?
Have a nice evening and ta ta for now xxx